Pages

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Small Stuff

One part that interferes with a track rod when the suspension cycles is this bolt on the bottom of the transmission, however this is no ordinary bolt.  It holds a spring that is part of a detent on a shift rod. This week I cut the offending head off the shifter detent bolt, shortened it, then welded on a flat top, clean it up and cut a slot in the top for a flat screwdriver.  I also coated the inside with JB Weld to make sure and seal up any pin hole leaks that may be there as this bolt hangs on the bottom of the transmission and must be fluid tight.  The spring also needed to be shortened accordingly.  Lastly, I used calipers to make sure there was no interference while shifting.
Also, I am ready to assemble the suspension parts but I'm waiting for two little nylon cups from Mini Mania.  Mine are worn out and now is the only chance I have to install new ones.  I did get a chance to clean up the suspension arms and paint them with POR15.

Stock bolt.
Head cut off with a die grinder.




New flat head welded on, bolt is still a bit long at this point and I ground down some length after.
Slot cut in the top.
Test fit with modified bolt in place.  You can see I ground down more of the top, I will use that area to inject silicone sealer.
Yup, flush.  After assembly of the suspension parts, I'll see if I need to grind the case and drop the plug further.

A little lock tight to keep it in place.

 Done, but after a suspension check I hit it with RTV.
Here I'm taking apart the hubs to be cleaned and coated with POR15 (and a new steering knuckle seal installed).

These are the upper and lower suspension arms already cleaned and coated with POR15.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fell free to post any questions and I'll do my best to help you out with your project.