Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

Making a Suspension Bolt and Some Painting

While installing the lower suspension arms I found the right side mounting bolt wouldn't clear the tranny.  So I picked up a grade 8 bolt and a 3 inch long 1/4 inch pipe that I "machined" down to the 1/2 inch diameter that the original bolt is.  I should have installed the lower right suspension arm BEFORE  I mounted the engine.  But now it's easier to just make my own plus now it can be removed later.
Other than that, I was able to prep and paint more parts.
The bolt supplied won't clear the tranny, I should have installed the lower arm before mounting the engine.  No worries, I'll buy a smaller bolt and make a sleeve to slip over it.
Here is the pipe before being "turned down" (one threaded end already cut off).

Here I took some 1/4 inch pipe and chucked it in a drill press, (my "lathe").

 

Almost there.


Done.

Lower arm in place, sleave being inserted.

Next goes in the new bolt, this time from the rear.

I installed a thick washer on the right to support the nut and provide the correct amount of bushing squeeze.

Complete.

Calipers painted.

Hubs and old backing plates painted.  I may need to make new backing plates though.

Painted hubs.

Here is one of the new thicker Cooper S CV joints and flanges to be installed.

One more picture of engine in, I still can't believe it's in there!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fell free to post any questions and I'll do my best to help you out with your project.