Pages

Monday, April 9, 2012

Cone in a Round Socket?

The other week as I took apart the upper front suspension arms, I found a nylon cup is used in the ball and socket.  This must add some life to the joint as there isn't a zirk to grease it.  I think Alec Issigonis (Mini Designer) must have looked at the human body as a guide and decided if bone on bone isn't good then metal on metal wouldn't hold up either.  Anyway, the nylon cup is cone shaped on the outside and nests in the upper arm, the inside of the cup is a concave shape that mates with the ball.
On one of the joints the cup has worn through and the ball was grinding away the inside of the socket, so the socket lost it's cone shape and is now too deep and rounded.  I need to either buy a new arm or build up the inside of the socket back to an inverted cone shape, below is how I took care of that.  The cup nests in the socket utilizing a cone shape to keep the cup from moving in the socket and forcing the only movement to be between the ball and the cup.  The cup is filled with grease and then a seal is used to keep it all clean.

Cup pulled out of the socket and you can see it's worn through and the ball has rounded the inside of the socket.

Here this socket still has it's cone shape as does the cup (to be replaced anyway).

Here are the two sockets, rounded one on the left and the other still cone shaped.

Worn socket and ball along with new ball and cap.

Good ball (left) and worn ball (right).

I put JB Weld inside the worn socket.

I then inserted the new cup as a mold and clamped it in place.  This will force the JB Weld to form around the cup and create a supportive base around the cone.  The main force the JB Weld will need to support is compression so I feel this is a permanent fix.  If you have ever used JB Weld, you know what I'm talking about.

After finding the right thrust washers and seals in my box-o-parts, the upper arm is finally in place.  A bit of clean up from the clamping and things will look like they were back in 1967.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fell free to post any questions and I'll do my best to help you out with your project.