Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2012

If all else fails, read instructions...

Last week I couldn't get the header bolted on the engine because the sub-frame was in the way, well after re-reading the instructions I "discovered" the header needs to be bolted in place before installing the engine.  I bolted the header on, and slipped the sub-frame on the engine and BAM it fit.
Now that I'm done with that fit verification, I took the sub-frame back off and bolted it up under the car.  There are 4 extra holes that needed to be located and back drilled to the car.  I was able to install the subby, then mark and drill the holes, that was a nice easy straight forward task.
That was the last of the messing around with the sub-frame so I put it in the sun and gave it a fresh coat of paint to eliminate all the scratches I put in it.  I was able to clean and paint some other little pieces, and started to take the suspension arms, and hubs apart to paint as well.
Next I was able to clean up the two hydrolastic displacers (sounds like something that belongs on the Millennium Falcon) and install them.  I had such a hard time getting them out and now that they are all clean I know why.  There are 4 little tabs that engage the mating collar inside the sub-frame tower.  You simply push the displacer up and give it a hard twist till they lock.
As of now, I can't install any more parts as far as the sub-frame goes because I need two $1.50 little nylon caps that have worn out.  They go into the upper suspension arms that need to be installed before the engine goes in the sub-frame.  I hope to have these in the next few days but that gives me time to paint the upper arms with POR-15 anyway.

Header and engine fit like a glove in the sub-frame.

Looking down at sub-frame (supported by wood and a floor jack) is up and in the car.

Putting in fasteners.



There are four extra bolts used to secure the subby, here I'm back-drilling a hole for one.

Punching a mark for another hole.

Frame is now all done being fitted, time for some new paint.


Here is a displacer all cleaned up, with a new seal and ready to go.

The four little tabs (three visible) are what lock the displacer in place.

You can sorta see the four mating slots for the displacer.  I wish I knew about those while trying to pull it out.

This is how you twist the displacer clockwise, hit it at an angle with a rubber mallet.

Displacer installed

Some other parts I cleaned up and painted.

This bolt is right in the way of a track-rod, it's hollow and has a spring in it too.  I need to cut, weld, and machine in some groves so I can install it and have it flush with the aluminum transmission case.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fell free to post any questions and I'll do my best to help you out with your project.