Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

Loose Ends and More POR 15



This week I installed new roller bearings that fit the fat and super strong Cooper S CV joints in place of the old ball bearings that went with the weak and skinny drum brake style CV joins.  Gotta have some meat if you have some power!  It's a long story but both bearings fit in the hub.
I installed the slave cylinder for the clutch, two bolts and BOOM that was done.

I also made a doubler that I will weld into place to support the load of the torque shoe that controls the movement of the engine while under acceleration or deceleration.  With a "toy" of a car and with some power, this thing is going to be abused!  I want to be able to romp on the gas and let off with the utmost confidence.  Most the other frame mounting bolts are under shear or torsional forces that can be handled easily.
I prepped and coated the passenger side floor board with POR 15 under the frame bolts and then everywhere else to protect them from corrosion after the carpet is put back.

Lastly I bought some new fasteners for some suspension components this week and ran into a few friends I haven't see for a while at the hardware store.  I love that!  I have been using Ny-Lock nuts where possible because they are only a few pennies more and will not fall off.  I also bought and installed some star washers to keep my header bolts from backing out from the constant expansion and contraction due to heating and cooling.  I wasn't sure about those but talked to my dad who is also building a car (his Vette powered '33 Ford blog is HERE) and his ceramic header came supplied with star washers so I assume they are OK to use on my delicate ceramic coated surface as well.

Big ID roller on left, small ID ball on right.

OD is the same,  ID is .015 off, no biggie.

Here the hubs are stuffed and ready to go!

Clutch slave installed.

Floor cleaned up at 2:00 in the morning.

Thanks for the forceps Mark!  That tool is about he only thing that could get the nut out of the place it fell and wedged in .  Even a magnet wouldn't get it being stuck and all.

Doubler is upper left, the POR 15 is under the plate and the washers.

Passenger floor is coated with POR 15.

New fasteners for track rod.

New star washers under the header bolts, missing one though...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fell free to post any questions and I'll do my best to help you out with your project.