Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

Tranny Gear Ratios

This week the only work that was done on the Mini was some welding of one of the patches for the floor.  Not done yet, when I get it finished I'll post some pictures. 
I also found out the 67 tooth ring gear means the transmission that came with the JDM B16 has a 4.7 final drive ratio and not the 4.4 as was stated when I purchased it.  Luckily, I contacted the Honda race shop "Speed Factory" here in the area and they had a complete LS gear set in excellent shape as well as a geared LSD and were willing to install that in my case in exchange for my gear set and LSD.  I love it when I can trade with no $$ involved.  So now I will have a 4.266 final drive ring gear that will give me a 3.27 final ratio with the .714 5th gear.  That is as good as it gets for tall gears in a B-16.  Of course I need the tall gears due to the unique 10" rims the old mini is loved for.  So now I should have around 3300 RPM at 60 MPH and about 3900 at 70MPH with my 165/70x10 Yokohama A032R tires.  This also allows 60MPH to be at the top of second gear so only one shift will be needed for a quick 0-60 time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fell free to post any questions and I'll do my best to help you out with your project.