Pages

Monday, May 21, 2012

Hydrolastic Suspension

NEW?  CLICK HERE FOR DAY ONE!

Click here for a 3 minute video of the entire build. 

Another week under the bridge and some little things have been done.  Like building a house the devil is in the details, the walls go up quick but the little stuff can take forever.  Here I cleaned up some fittings that can't be removed or replaced.  Also, under the car I replaced a damaged section of tube that connects the front hydrolastic displacer unit to the rear.  After things are done I plan on putting a needle valve inline on each side to dial down fluid movement and stiffen up the ride as I wish.  The idea is to minimize rear end squat on acceleration (and front end rise). So yup, I turned into a plumber this week.

Old fitting.

Wire wheel to clean the old fitting.

Fitting rust/grime free.

Soaking the fitting in a zinc phosphate acid solution.  I used a POR 15 product called "Metal Prep" and info on it can be found here.




Zinc phosphate coated fitting all nice and new looking.

Happy birthday to me!  This is a custom radiator designed to fit into the only space left that's not taken up by the engine.

The spuds on this radiator are pointed in the correct position, one of the reasons I bought it.  Most wrecking yard rads will require several mods and end up looking like a mess when done and still not fit perfect.  Installation will be this upcoming weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fell free to post any questions and I'll do my best to help you out with your project.