Pages

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Clutch and Flywheel



Yesterday I picked up the two 12 point sockets needed to remove the clutch and flywheel.  After looking at the clutch I saw a little label stamped into it saying "Exedy"  The clutch looks almost new and it turn out to be a stage 1 clutch.  After going online to do a bit of research, I don't think the flywheel is stock either, it's some sort of lightened one (not sure of the brand, no marks).  I weighed it and it's about 14-15lbs vs my 8.8 and I think a stock one is about 18-19lbs.  This could be a type R flywheel, not sure.
I've heard from some other VTEC Mini owners the OEM clutch is more than adequate, due to the mini only weighing in at 1400lbs.  And that racing clutches function more like a switch and require more peddle pressure.  Before I bolt on the tranny I need to make sure I want to keep this clutch.

Clutch pulled off




New ACT 8.8lb flywheel, I'm not sure what the old one is, but I don't think it's stock.

ACT flywheel installed.

Clutch  and flywheel installed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fell free to post any questions and I'll do my best to help you out with your project.